This month's cake club theme was The Land of Make Believe. As a child I was obsessed with the film Labyrinth - yes, I still know most of the script and yes, I am proud of that fact. I was only ever going to make a Poisonous Peach Cake (sans poison) for our meet up. That moment where Hoggle hands Sarah that peach... I'm still like 'nooooo!'
What made this month even more special is that my childhood best pal Jenny joined us. I dread to think how many times we watched Labyrinth, Grease and Dirty Dancing in my bedroom. I even managed to source a replica worm for the top! I also found a legitimate excuse to wear my 'You remind me of the babe' Bowie T-shirt - I looked BAD ASS (or either one of those words singularly). I added a little swirl to the centre of the cake so it looked a bit like a Labyrinth too...
that song in my head. Not sure what I'm banging on about? Click the link. It's my pleasure.
- 225g butter
- 450g golden caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 350g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 250ml peach fat free yoghurt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp peach cordial
- Orange food colouring
- 500g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp peach cordial
- Preheat the oven to gas 3/160 c
- Prepare a regular sized bundt tin - 2.4l, 10 cup, 10 inch with Cake Release spray and dust with flour.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, measure out the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Pour the yoghurt and peach cordial into a jug.
- Sift in a third of the flour mix followed by half the yoghurt mix. Repeat this until everything is combined.
- Give everything a quick mix on a low speed for about 10 seconds.
- Put about 6 tbsp of the batter into a bowl, and dye orange.
- Pour half of the plain batter into the prepared tin.
- Spoon in the orange layer.
- Cover with the rest of your plain batter.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for about 1 hour 15 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the tin.
- When the cake is fully cooled, mix the icing sugar with 3 tbsp of peach cordial and enough water to make a runny icing. Tip the lot over your cake - it will trickle down the sides to cover the whole thing.
- Worm optional...
Bloggers: Please respect the fact I am sharing my own ideas and recipe. Blood, sweat and many tears have gone into getting this right, so you may enjoy a perfect bundt. If you wish to re-blog a recipe from these variations, please credit my blog and link to this original post rather than pasting the recipe on your own page. Please see my Creative Commons Copyright information for more details. Thank you.